Thursday, October 16, 2014

Dogs are a man's best friend.

I'm going to start this post off with a story about my brother and I.

When we were little my brother was deathly afraid of dogs. Whether they were small dogs or big dogs Scott would hate them. I saw my brother once jump on my mom's GMC envoy because a dog walked towards him. He would tell you he didn't want a dog.

Before we got Penny there was really only one dog that Scott was comfortable with and that was our old neighbor's dog Blade. Blade was a pitbull but a very friendly one at that. Scott would point his finger and say sit. Blade would do exactly what he said then Scott would pet him.

When we were little Laura always asked for a dog. To be honest I never thought we would get a dog but last year we did. Scott helped Laura pick out Penny. She was really the only dog who wasn't barking at Scott. Which he liked. He don't like dogs that bark.

I have seen Scott grow into loving dogs. Whenever he comes home Penny is at the door to greet him. Once he pets her she gets her ball and they play around for a bit. He sometimes takes her outside and plays with her. It is a huge difference to what he used to be. There are some dogs that Scott still doesn't like (usually ones that bark a lot whether they are big or small) but he is getting used to them.

One reason I wrote this post was because I noticed something this week. Laura and Penny had gone to grandma's house for a couple of days. Meaning there was no dog to greet Scott when he got home or to lick his face when he was taking a nap. When Scott came home on Wednesday, Penny was home. She greeted him at the door and then ran to the couch with her ball. Scott walked over to her and petted her. After that he said, "Penny I missed you a lot." Which really took me by surprise. This is the boy who used to hate dogs. I think Penny is growing on Scott. Who would have thought that Penny would be the dog to help Scott with his fear of dogs?

I guess it's true what they say. A dog is a man's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment