Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Doing Big Things In Small Places.

This is your warning that you might need some tissues for this post.

One thing I love doing is telling people my experiences with my brother and how he's really grown from when he used to be a runner to now being so friendly to everyone. I was recently talking to a friend about my brother and how he has Autism. The one thing we said was "I'm sorry." I was really confused on why he would say that. Probably because he doesn't know the experiences we've been through and what life is like living with a person with a disability.

Looking back. A lot of things have happened with my brother. At the beginning I didn't want to go out with him because he would just scream but that would his way of communicating. I never understood why he did the things that he did. I told my friend that it was an experience that I'm really glad that I've had a chance to have. To be honest I don't know who I would be or what I would be doing with my life if I didn't have my little brother. We've been through every thing and every where. I've met so many people who I wouldn't have the chance to if I wasn't involved in Special Olympics and Special Hockey.

I do always wonder what my brother is thinking. How he can know every little detail that you and I can't see. It's amazing. He can even tell you what car is coming from them coming opposite way and in the pitch dark. I do miss those days where my brother was on the bench saying "do not let them score!" It still plays in my mind every time I put on my jersey.

I love hearing my brother over the phone. Whenever I'm having a day just hearing about his day even if he only talks to me for a couple seconds I love it. He always says, "Gotta go. Love you too. Bye." then hands the phone to whoever before I can even say it back.

My friend also asked me what my brother would be doing after high school. That will be a new experience that we will have to see. It's another curve in life that I truly don't have the answer to. Only time will tell what will happen.. Scott keeps telling everyone that he is going to marry a girl named Michelle and have three kids (he has names for them but they keep changing.) and when he's 65 he's going to move to Tampa, Florida near his best friend John. I really hope that one day it will happen.

One experience I think I would have never had without having my brother is being the Delaware Valley Collegiate Hockey Conference (DVCHC) Special Hockey Liaison. What that means is I'm the middle man for the teams and the special hockey teams. It's a great way to get the players out in the community and I'm really excited to get to do this my senior year of college. A lot of the girls are really excited to do it.

Our first Special Hockey/DVCHC partnership will be a meet-n-greet before the Slippery Rock at The Naval Academy. More details will come soon. :) I can't wait to see my Cool Cats if some of them come.

So watch out world, Scott and I are taking it by storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment