Friday, April 3, 2015

A Letter to my brother.

So I've been seeing people having letters to their siblings. Well since April is Autism Awareness Month I decided to write my own. Get out your tissues.

Dear Scott,
     When we were younger I was scared. I had no idea what it meant to be a sibling with someone who had a disability. In the 90's, Autism wasn't as known as it is now and there weren't many sibling support groups. I felt alone. I felt lost. I was the big sister who had no idea what to do.
      Truthfully, I hated going out in public with you when we were younger. You would scream and people would stare and say mean things about you. In some ways those people made us stronger. Screaming was your way of talking to us. When you started talking at the age of 8 I felt that we had made an accomplishment. Who knew so many more accomplishments would be on the way. I remember when you learned how to tie your shoe with the book mom had.
      We've had so many great memories together. We've been to places I've never thought we would go. I took my first plane ride to London to see you play hockey. I was scared to fly but I'd do anything for you. It was a new adventure that we got to do together.
      I watched you grow to the young man you are today. From the time you screamed for many hours trying not to do homework or read a book to loving school and hating snow days. You are graduating from high school this year and I could not be any prouder. I don't know what the future brings but I promise I'll be right beside you cheering you on. I'm excited to see where our adventure takes us.
       You've taught me more than any book could ever do. You've taught me not to judge a book by it's cover and that you can do whatever you put your mind to. You've taught me a lot about cars. Because of you I've found what I want to do with my life. I'm very grateful that I have you in my life. If someone asked me if I wanted to trade the life I have now with you for a "typical" sibling. I would decline. I wouldn't change our adventure for the world.

So Thanks Scott for being you.
I love you.
Your big sister,
Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment