Monday, November 10, 2014

How do you deal with this?

*if you cry easily. Here is your warning to get tissues.*

I often wonder what goes on in my brother's mind. Most of all I wonder about his feelings. Today would have been my grandparent's 63rd wedding anniversary. We called my grandma (maybe hoping she hadn't noticed what day it was). As an 89-year-old women I believe there are somethings she will never forget and today is one of them. While we were on the phone she started crying a bit which made my mom and I tear up.


Scott hasn't been known for expressing his feeling but on sentimental days like these he shows it. He put up a facebook status saying he missed our grandpa. One thing I remember is whenever I would call my grandma around 7pm she would say, "Well, grandpa is in bed. I'll go see if he wants to talk." Even though I told her I would call when he was awake and he could hear me with his hearing aid, but she would always give him the phone. We have so many great memories that will never be forgotten and that will be talked about for generations to come.

I wonder sometimes if he understands the meaning of death or if he ever will. We do talk about grandpa and others who have passed. I always tell him that we have to remember the good times we had with them.

How does one explain to someone with a disability about death? It's just another life experience that we have to learn from. One day it will get easier. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment